Specifically I wanted to share some tips for death knights that may be dipping their toes into either raiding or the tier via the LFR tool. Being a DK means we have a large variety of abilities that we can use to stay alive and maximize our output. I feel that toolbox is not only the allure of playing a DPS death knight, but also the pinnacle of a great player.
Hit the jump for the goods.
This already easy fight can be easier in many ways.
- Make liberal use of AMS for the stomps
- Use IBF near the tail end of the Black Blood phase to increase your uptime on the boss
- Time a D&D to land right under the boss before he pulls the raid to him for extra DPS
This is probably the easiest fight for melee in the whole place.
- Use damage cooldowns early so they will be ready again when the boss 20 or so stacks
- Use IBF and AMS when the group stacks up to increase your survivability
Yor'sahj the Unsleeping
There is lots of raid damage on this fight so staying alive gives you the best chance to deal damage.
- Do whatever you can start DPS on the oozes as quickly as possible
- Make liberal use of AMS during the ooze phase of any color
- Save IBF for if the shit really hits the fan
- For the black ooze, throw a D&D down and make sure to strafe the boss allowing your Howling Blast to cone into the adds
Hagara the Stormbinder
Hagara is likely to be the only boss that LFR groups will wipe on, however she is easy.
- During the lightning phase, use IBF (long duration) while chaining to reduce your damage taken
- Ice Phase: Throw a D&D and use HB on the crystals while running from the ice wall
- If you start to get ice lanced, pop AMS to survive
This is also an easy fight, however requires more DPS than the other bosses.
- You can use AMS and IBF to avoid shifting out during Hour of Twilight
- No movement means you can focus on your damage priority
The "lootship" of Dragon Soul, this fight only requires a few things.
- When stacking for Twilight Assault, use AMS or IBF
- Don't be afraid to use a Death Strike if you catch a cleave from the adds
Spine of Deathwing
Mechanically this is an easy fight with an epic feel.
- Make use of AMS when the amalgamation explodes
- Offer a D&D on top of the bloods to reduce their health
Madness of Deathwing
A fight fitting of the end of the expansion.
- Liberal use of AMS on this fight is suggested
- During the Elementium Bolt
- When the tentacles are out
- Near the end of the fight when the stacks are getting high
- Save IBF for the end when the stacking damage gets high
- Use a D&D on the Elementium Fragments
So there you have it. Remember - a large portion of increasing your output is using survivability tools to stay alive. Dead DPS is no DPS. We have some of the BEST cooldowns for staying alive, arguably the best of any dps class. Making the most of that is crucial.