Patch 4.2 is already up on the PTR and things have changed. A new raid tier is being released and with it a lot of changes to our favorite class. I expect a lot more to change by the time the patch goes live. Enough sitting around wondering how mana starvation for Protection Paladins is going to be improved let's jump right into the notes!
Edit: Also a big Nerf for Prot Paladin Mastery added on 5/13
Edit: Added updates from the 6/8 4.2 updates.
First the most important change I can find in the patch notes.
- Characters can now be reorganized at the Character Selection screen. This feature not yet fully functional and the reorganization of characters doesn't save at this time. You mean I can put all my characters that I raid on at the top instead of spread out among my 10 slots! That makes way too much sense!
Another change affects all Tanking classes.
- Death knights, paladins, and warriors no longer receive any bonus to their chance to dodge from Agility. Their base chance to dodge is now a fixed 5%.
- Death knights, paladins, and warriors now receive 27% of their Strength bonuses as parry rating, up from 25%. This conversion still only applies to Strength above and beyond their base Strength.
Now let's go over the basic changes that affect Paladins.
- Critical healing strikes for +100% instead of +50%. This helps all healers, but remember with the 20-second Word of Glory cooldown added in 4.1 this actually helps a lot because I crit quite a bit with Word of Glory.
- Many crowd control abilities no longer cause creatures to attack players when they are cast. The creature will not attack the player when the crowd control wears off, and nearby creatures will not become hostile to the player either. However, if a visible player gets too close to the target creature, the creature will remember and attack the player when the crowd control effect wears off. The intent is to make it easier for dungeon groups to manage crowd control assignments and pulling packs of hostile NPCs. The abilities affected by this change are: Hibernate, Entangling Roots, Wyvern Sting (will still cause hostility when it begins to deal damage), Freezing Trap, Polymorph, Repentance, Shackle Undead, Blind, Hex, Bind Elemental, Banish, Seduction.
My question is why not Fear? I guess Warlocks get messed, but this is good news for groups in heroic 5 mans trying to actually use Crowd Control.
- Divine Light mana cost has been increased to 35% of base mana, up from 30%.
- Flash of Light mana cost has been increased to 31% of base mana, up from 27%.
- Holy Light mana cost has been increased to 12% of base mana, up from 10%.
- Rebuke, Divine Shield and Divine Protection have new icons.
- Seal of Righteousness now can be activated by any melee ability, not just single target melee abilities. This adds Hammer of the Righeous (the physical component) and Divine Storm to the list of abilities that can activate this seal. In addition, Seal of Righteousness procs can now be critical effects.
- Beacon of Light can no longer be dispelled.
- Denounce has been redesigned. It still reduces the mana cost of Exorcism. However, it no longer has a chance on Holy Shock of making Exorcism free and instant. Instead, it has a 50/100% chance to prevent the Exorcism target from causing critical effects for the next 6 seconds. This effect can be dispelled.
- Holy Shock mana cost has been decreased to 7% of base mana, down from 8%.
- Speed of Light now increases movement speed when Holy Radiance or Divine Protection are cast. In addition, this talent now reduces the cooldown of Holy Radiance by 13/26/40 seconds, up from 10/20/30.
- Walk in the Light now improves Word of Glory healing by 30%, in addition to its current effects.
- Ardent Defender has a new spell effect.
- Guarded by the Light no longer interacts with Holy Shield in any way.
- Hammer of the Righteous mana cost has been lowered to 10%, down from 12% to match Crusader Strike.
- Judgements of the Wise now procs on attempt rather than on strike, which means judgements that miss can still grant mana. This is to help ensure Protection paladins are not starved for mana if they aren't capped on hit rating.
- Holy Shield now adds 5% block while active instead of reducing damage by an additional 10%. Holy nerf batman, I just cried a little.
Holy Shield has been redesigned. This talent is now an activated ability off the global cooldown. It grants 20% increased block amount to a paladin's shield blocks for 10 seconds, with a 30 second cooldown.
- Guardian of Ancient Kings now uses the 'Assist' pet stance functionality.
What is my response for most of this? A little interested.
- Going to cost more to heal, Flash of light is not really used anyways so it just because worse to use.
- Using the 1 minute 20% less damage cooldown now helps you sprint as well. Looks like I'll use it more when running back after a wipe. In all seriousness the speed factor is good for getting out of certain situations such as Breath attacks and AoE attacks that target near the healer. Oh and the 10 second less cooldown for Holy Radiance is nice.
- I guess they made everything cost too much and changed the Holy shock cost from 9% down to 7%, remember things change on the PTR a lot.
- Word of Glory being a little more affective is nice as well.
- Only thing worth noting here is that when you cast judgement the proc for Judgements of the Wise kicks in. This also is helpful because remember in 4.1 they made Judgements work while silenced.
- They just nerfed Holy shield a huge amount, but also made it easier to get to the 102.4% normal hit cap. The original value was adding 15% block, then 10% of damage, and now 5% block? Big nerf from where we started.
- Now they changed it to be an on-use ability that absorbs more damage when blocked? Seems a lot like the warrior cooldown now.
- Selfless Healer now reduces the cooldown of Word of Glory by 5/10 sec.
- Changed holy shock to 7% from 8% instead of 9% from 8%.
- Added Holy shield nerf.
- Added Selfless Healer change to Retribution.
- added Tank stats.
- added new holy shield mechanic
- added the rest of the notes found.